Went to Camira fabrics today to work on developing my design for the BBC North Design Challenge. Had to resize the pattern so it could be printed and also work on it so it can be woven into a jacquard. It’s going to be used as upholstery material in the new Media City building in Salford. I hope it’ll be made into sofas, I want to see the repeat! Exciting stuff! Going back soon to see the weave process. Learning loads, especially as I haven’t studied textiles, really enjoying the exposure to something new.
I’ve just done a 2 day course at the West Yorkshire Print Workshop, specifically learning printing methods for education. I’m doing a few print workshops over the summer and needed to learn about waterbased inks and printing without using a press.
I learnt a new method of monoprint, using a large PVC sheet. I’m definitely going to use this process again, inking up the sheet, making marks directly onto the sheet and wiping away ink, and then printing. It’s so direct not as frustrating as other printing methods. I also learnt how to use polystrene foam board to print. Simple and effective.
I don’t like waterbased inks as much as oils, but they are very easy to clean and so will be much better for workshops with children. I’m looking forward to going back to the WYPW and using this new method of monoprinting but using oil based inks, the results will be much stronger and more colourful.